Sunday, August 27, 2006

Carnival up on the hill


Back in grade school days, we looked forward to the second week in June for 2 reasons: 1) the last day of school, and 2) the carnival coming to town! In the 60s the annual Jaycees carnival was held up on the hill at Veteran's Park. Adding to the excitement for me was the fact that at night I could look out my bedroom window and see the green and yellow lights at the top of the double ferris wheel.

Later when the pool and ice rink were built at Vets, the carnival moved over to the Pioneer High parking lot and the date was switched to mid-summer. Real old-timers will remember when a carnival was held on Main Street during bargain days in late July, before the Art Fair expanded from the campus area to downtown streets.

4 Comments:

Blogger meestercranky said...

You must have grown up in my neighborhood,, I have the exact same fond memories of seeing the ferris wheel at Vets from my window in the mid sizties. My name is Dale Turkle and I lived on Leona, right at the corner next to the walkway into Haisley.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Jim Heddle said...

Dale, I lived just north of Miller Road, near the corner of Miller and Wines Drive. I remember your sister Kris.
-Jim Heddle

10:48 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

I went to Pioneer. I've lived in Ann Arbor my whole life. I can't believe the Carnival has been around that long. Now, I do web design in Ann Arbor: ann arbor web design. I found your link from a website that had a bunch of blogs, but this is by far the best. Thanks for doing this, for Ann Arbor.

6:52 AM  
Blogger meestercranky said...

Oh man, I think I know who you are. You probably knew her at Forsythe.

Unfortunately Kris passed almost four years ago.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home