Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Jim the friendly ticket-taker


I met Jim Atkins in 1978. As play-by-play announcer for WPAG's broadcasts of Michigan hockey games I would enter Yost Arena through the press entrance where Jim, as one of the ushers, was posted. One night as I came in he asked me if I was Jim Heddle and I said yes. He then asked if I was related to Fred Heddle and I told him that I was Fred's son. Jim then told me how much he enjoyed watching my dad play softball at old Sportsman's Park when he was a kid. I thought it was great that I had met one of my dad's "fans," and I began to look forward to visiting with Jim before every hockey game. He always greeted me at the door with a friendly "Hi!," a warm smile and an enthusiastic handshake. As I got to know Jim better, I found out that I wasn't the only one that he treated so well - he was this friendly with everyone he met! To this day I have never met anyone more gregarious, genuine and delightful as Jim Atkins.

In addition to his duties at Yost, Jim also took tickets at the gate for Michigan football, basketball and baseball games. I always would either come in Jim's gate, or once inside would walk over to his post to visit with him before the game. Jim lived in the house where he grew up near Slauson Middle School, where he took care of his elderly mother. He didn't drive, so often I would see him out walking on the west side of town or waiting at a bus stop.

In 1982 I moved to west Michigan but returned to Ann Arbor often to visit, and from time to time would call Jim to find out how he was. He was always pleased to hear from me, and seemed to know all of the town gossip that never made the paper.

I moved back to Ann Arbor in 1994 and for the next 5 years Jim and I enjoyed getting together for lunch at the Old Country buffet every few months. We also ran into each other often at the grocery store and I was amazed that he knew the names of all of the check-out clerks and baggers at the store and all of the workers at the restaurant. He would speak to all of them in the same enthusiastic way that he always greeted me.

We lost Jim suddenly in 1999 and I think of him often, especially when I drive through the area near Slauson school where I used to see him out walking. He was one-of-a-kind, and a true friend and inspiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home